Yes we know, pumpkin spice is a liiiiitle over hyped. Once October hits, the PSL craze begins: everything is suddenly orange and spicy and pumpkin flavoured and you just can’t help but be sick of it. BUT, what if there was something so adorably pumpkin, and not-so-basic “witch” 😉 that you might want to try it.
Presenting the cutest pumpkin pie you might ever see and make in your life…
Mini pumpkin pies…
IN. A. PUMPKIN.
Say no more , we know they’re super cute. Our corporate chef Amy developed this recipe and it’s perfect for a dinner dessert, to bring to a party, or when you’re in the mood for a little fall treat without too much portion size guilt.
Makes 2 c batter, each mini pumpkin holds approximately 1/4c to 1/3c depending on size.
6-8 mini pumpkins
1/2 c light brown sugar, packed
1 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 large egg
3/4 c evaporated milk
7.5 oz canned pumpkin puree (approximately 1 cup)
1 Tbsp all purpose flour
pinch of salt
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 c all purpose flour
3 Tbsp chopped pecans
pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F, and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Cut off the top 1/4 of the pumpkins, discarding the seeds and leaving the walls intact. Place pumpkin and tops on prepared baking sheet.
- Crumble Topping: In a medium size bowl, mix flour, sugar, pecans and salt, and cut in the cold butter with a pastry blender, or your hands until it forms a crumble-like texture. Set aside in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Pie Filling: In a large bowl, whisk brown sugar with egg, spice, and milk until smooth. Add in pumpkin puree and flour, whisking until smooth.
- Pour the filling into the pumpkins, leaving at least 1/2 inch space from the top. Place the tops back on each of the pumpkins.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, take the pumpkin tops off and set aside to avoid burning them. Top each of the pumpkins with approximately 1 Tbsp of crumble topping pressing it lightly overtop of the pie filling.
- Return to oven baking for an additional 25-30 minutes, depending on the size of your pumpkins. The tops should be slightly browned.
- Once cooked, let pumpkins cool to allow the filling to fully set.
- Feel free to finish the pies by topping them with your favourite ice-cream or whipped cream!